Our Club kids need us now more than ever. With extensive school and workplace closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our community is facing new challenges. As we have for 20 years, the Boys and Girls Club of Langlade County is dedicated to supporting our community’s kids and families and we are ready to do more.
Since the year 2000, we have been a constant in many local lives. On a typical summer day, the Club would serve 130 youth or more each day. We opened our doors for summer on Monday, Jun 8, 2020, with a limited capacity. During the 12 weeks we were closed March 17th – June 5th, we were actively helping Club members and the community as a whole in the following ways:
- 11,082 meals served (snack + dinner) to youth in Langlade County since March 16, 2020
- 5,810 meals served (snack + dinner) to youth in Oneida County since April 22, 2020
- 580 meals delivered by staff to family’s thanks in part the Elwyn Remington Foundation
- Home activity packets sent home in the meal distribution bags
- Daily challenges posted on Facebook and Instagram to engage youth during Stay-at-Home
- Frequent phone calls to our Club members to check in and see what resources they need
- Mailing postcards to Club members to let them know we are here for them.
- Mentoring youth via Zoom
- Reading books to K-2 graders via Zoom
Before Covid-19 hit, we had plans to celebrate our 20th Anniversary assist community members in Oneida County with opening a Boys and Girls Club, initiate a successful Capital Campaign to create an endowment and complete safety and security upgrades to our building. Even though current events are challenging us, we will continue to ensure our organization is here for many more years to come.
YOU REMAIN A CRITICAL PARTNER. With your help, we can secure the Club’s ability to meet the evolving needs of our community’s youth and families. Thanks to the support of people like you, we have raised $33,000 of our $132,000 goal for our 2020 Great Futures Annual Campaign. Your response gives us hope. We know our community’s recovery is going to be difficult, but we know you still want to help.
What can you do?
- Give a contribution to our Annual Campaign or commit to a pledge payable by year’s end.
- The Stimulus Bill passed by Congress contains a one-time above-the-line deduction for cash contributions of up to $300 made to qualifying charities. Consider selecting the Club as your qualifying charity.
- To help us know we can count on you, sign up for monthly giving – $5, $10, $25 a month.
Continue to talk about the important work the Club does to your network and the greater community.
We will do whatever it takes to help kids, families, and our community gets through this crisis. We cannot do it alone. We appreciate all you have done and all you continue to do to support the Club. Take care and stay safe.
Angel Zimmerman Brian Millar
Chief Executive Officer Board President